Today’s post marks the final day of spring/summer capsule foundation pieces in our Building a Capsule Wardrobe series with a focus on shoes. Next up will be the fun stuff – adding color, pattern and accessories!
Spring/Summer Casual Capsule Foundation Shoes
The two shoes that I think will get you through 80% plus of your spring casual wear needs are pictured below: a simple white sneaker and a neutral slide sandal. Don’t panic yet at the thought of just two shoes – we can add something else in an accent color when we get to the next step!
- Simple White Sneaker
- Budget: H&M Sneakers
- Mid-Range: adidas Originals Stan Smith NOTE: Most women (up to a size 9 or so) can wear the “big kids” version of this shoe. Look for the posted sizing equivalents and save a couple bucks.
- Mid-Range: Tretorn NYLite Plus
- High: Vince Viktor slip-on or Vince Afton sneaker
- Neutral Slide Sandal in a low to moderate heel, as close to your skin tone as you can get.
- Budget: Payless Nikolle slide
- Mid-Range: Halogen Freda slide, Nine West Gemily slide or Steve Madden Dalis slide
- High: Sigerson Morrison Rhoda or 3.1 Phillip Lim Cube
For the Office
For office wear, pumps are the foundation workhorse. While some work environments allow for open toed shoes and while some women prefer a loafer to a pump when wearing a trouser; a classic, pointed toe, mid-heel will get you through nearly all work situations.
- Neutral Pump either close to your own skin color or in a dark neutral (black/navy). I love the neutral shoe because it goes with everything and makes your legs look longer when in a dress or skirt.
- Budget: H&M pumps
- Mid-Range: Nine West Smith or Jackpot; Louise et Cie Jacoba kitten heel or Jaycee pump
- High: The iconic Blahnik BB pump in a 50mm, 90 mm or 105mm height