When the kimono trend first hit, I thought I’d be taking a definite pass on it. Too costume-y, too boho, too boudoir. But this spring the trend is coming on especially strong and now it’s starting to grow on me a bit! One that really caught my eye was the piece below from H & M. At $34 it isn’t a budget buster and suddenly I saw the kimono as a chic, easy way to update a black tank and crop or a black jumpsuit for date night. It has the ease and comfort of a cardigan but offers more edge and urban flair.
Continue reading “KimoNO or KimoYES?”
Happy Tuesday, everyone! Finally the big reveal that I promised: a complete mini capsule for Spring 2017! Using sixteen core pieces (including some of the capsule basics we covered in the capsule series) and nine accessories we created sixteen complete outfits for your inspiration. And I’m guessing all you out there can come up with even more!
If you are new to capsule wardrobes and have always wanted to give them a try, the sample wardrobe below would also work well for a spring time, city-based vacation to a mild/moderate climate. Trying to use a capsule on vacation is a great way to test the theory out. Trust me, you won’t regret packing less!
Spring Mini Capsule Contents:
- J. Crew denim jacket
- Banana Republic linen tee
- Hudson Collin skinny Jeans
- Banana Republic Sloan black ankle pants
- Garnet Hill 3/4 sleeve bateau dress
- Ten Sixty Sherman ruffle sleeve tee
- Ralph Lauren a-line skirt
- Citizen’s of Humanity Karmen pencil skirt
- Boden long sleeve Breton tee
- Bloomingdale’s Aqua asymmetrical tie top
- Splendid lace-up top
- Caslon 3/4 sleeve tee
- Nordstrom BP cargo anorak
- Halogen cardigan
- Halogen long linen cardigan
- Garnet Hill slim utility pants
Accessories & Add-ons
- adidas Originals Stan Smith
- Halogen Freda slide
- Nordstrom BP Katrina flat
- Missoni scarf
- Halogen Painterly Wave wrap
- Halogen Urban Blooms scarf
- Banana Republic Wildflower necklace
- Kendra Scott Rayne tassel pendant
- Longchamp large La Pliage tote
I’d love to see what combinations you come up with! Please feel free to comment below, write in or share any photos.
This post is part of Classy Yet Trendy’s blogger link-up!
Could you offer suggestions on how to pull off the tunic/legging look. I’m having a hard time finding things that don’t look too matronly or too floaty. Also, I can’t tell when you should wear leggings as opposed to skinny jeans. Any advice would be appreciated. – J
Thanks for following Natty Gal and writing in! Leggings are one of my favorite things to wear because they are so comfortable and they pack well when we travel!
Natty Gal Tips for Wearing Leggings:
- Make sure leggings are opaque. Denim, ponte and heavier cotton blends work best.
- Pair leggings with tops that fully cover your bottom but remain well above the knee. Possibilities include longer tops/tees, sweaters and tunics. Shorter dresses (shifts, swing, a-line, cinch-waist or shirt dresses) also pair well.
- Shoe pairings include clean, classic sneakers or espadrilles, loafers, ballet flats, flat or heeled sandals, wedges, flat or heeled booties and riding boots. I tend to prefer slightly above the ankle length leggings for pairing with sneakers, loafers and flat sandals whereas full length leggings work well with heeled sandals and booties.
Skinny jeans work well with both longer and shorter top options. A shirt dress can be paired with either skinny jeans or leggings as layering piece when worn open as a vest. A few ideas to inspire your creativity are shown below!
How to Style Leggings: Everyday Casual
For daily errands or sightseeing on vacation.
An evening casual look for drinks with the neighbors by the firepit or for a weekend away at a cottage by the lake.
How to Style Leggings: Elevated Casual
Two simple, polished looks for meeting friends, visiting the local farmer’s market, etc.
How to Style Leggings: Evening
An easy resort look for summer vacation.
The navy/black combo and moto jacket help give this look an urban (yet comfy) vibe.
Skinny Jean Option
A longer top would enable these looks to work with leggings as well.
A bit more summer-y! Leave the shirt dress unbuttoned and wear as a vest over the tee.
For taking the look into fall, pair with a long cardigan and booties.