When the kimono trend first hit, I thought I’d be taking a definite pass on it. Too costume-y, too boho, too boudoir. But this spring the trend is coming on especially strong and now it’s starting to grow on me a bit! One that really caught my eye was the piece below from H & M. At $34 it isn’t a budget buster and suddenly I saw the kimono as a chic, easy way to update a black tank and crop or a black jumpsuit for date night. It has the ease and comfort of a cardigan but offers more edge and urban flair.
Continue reading “KimoNO or KimoYES?”
Could you offer suggestions on how to pull off the tunic/legging look. I’m having a hard time finding things that don’t look too matronly or too floaty. Also, I can’t tell when you should wear leggings as opposed to skinny jeans. Any advice would be appreciated. – J
Thanks for following Natty Gal and writing in! Leggings are one of my favorite things to wear because they are so comfortable and they pack well when we travel!
Natty Gal Tips for Wearing Leggings:
- Make sure leggings are opaque. Denim, ponte and heavier cotton blends work best.
- Pair leggings with tops that fully cover your bottom but remain well above the knee. Possibilities include longer tops/tees, sweaters and tunics. Shorter dresses (shifts, swing, a-line, cinch-waist or shirt dresses) also pair well.
- Shoe pairings include clean, classic sneakers or espadrilles, loafers, ballet flats, flat or heeled sandals, wedges, flat or heeled booties and riding boots. I tend to prefer slightly above the ankle length leggings for pairing with sneakers, loafers and flat sandals whereas full length leggings work well with heeled sandals and booties.
Skinny jeans work well with both longer and shorter top options. A shirt dress can be paired with either skinny jeans or leggings as layering piece when worn open as a vest. A few ideas to inspire your creativity are shown below!
How to Style Leggings: Everyday Casual
For daily errands or sightseeing on vacation.
An evening casual look for drinks with the neighbors by the firepit or for a weekend away at a cottage by the lake.
How to Style Leggings: Elevated Casual
Two simple, polished looks for meeting friends, visiting the local farmer’s market, etc.
How to Style Leggings: Evening
An easy resort look for summer vacation.
The navy/black combo and moto jacket help give this look an urban (yet comfy) vibe.
Skinny Jean Option
A longer top would enable these looks to work with leggings as well.
A bit more summer-y! Leave the shirt dress unbuttoned and wear as a vest over the tee.
For taking the look into fall, pair with a long cardigan and booties.
Today’s post marks the final day of spring/summer capsule foundation pieces in our Building a Capsule Wardrobe series with a focus on shoes. Next up will be the fun stuff – adding color, pattern and accessories!
Spring/Summer Casual Capsule Foundation Shoes
The two shoes that I think will get you through 80% plus of your spring casual wear needs are pictured below: a simple white sneaker and a neutral slide sandal. Don’t panic yet at the thought of just two shoes – we can add something else in an accent color when we get to the next step!
- Neutral Slide Sandal in a low to moderate heel, as close to your skin tone as you can get.
For the Office
For office wear, pumps are the foundation workhorse. While some work environments allow for open toed shoes and while some women prefer a loafer to a pump when wearing a trouser; a classic, pointed toe, mid-heel will get you through nearly all work situations.
- Neutral Pump either close to your own skin color or in a dark neutral (black/navy). I love the neutral shoe because it goes with everything and makes your legs look longer when in a dress or skirt.