This concept worked pretty well for Oprah so thought I’d give it whirl. Besides, what better way to talk about a bunch of otherwise unrelated products than to label them all favorites? Whether gifting to others or things that have been gifted to me, all the items below in some way represent something that I’ve deemed a favorite. Hope you enjoy!
Love buying Nora Fleming for my hard to shop for friends. The classic white pieces coordinate with most decor and are customized through a series of “minis” that can be inserted into a slot in each of the base pieces. Imagine one hors d’oeuvre tray that you can adapt to every holiday or special occasion! And, as I mentioned last week, great for repeat-ability, as you can build the collection of minis over time.
First, shop your base piece. A rectangular serving platter is shown below but beyond serving pieces, options range from vases to soap dispensers and votive holders.Next, choose your mini (or minis). Minis are available for most major holidays and some hobbies and sports teams. A sample is shown below.
Continue reading “Natty Gal’s Favorite Things”
Did you have a good Thanksgiving? Catch any great black Friday deals?
Things went well here. Turkey was juicy and the sides turned out. Halls are about 80% decked. Shopping moderately underway. Fun visits with both family and friends. First holiday outing and first Christmas party of the season now in the books. Honestly, am feeling a bit knackered this week from all the activity!
The first party this year featured a gift exchange where everyone was to bring a generic gift for their gender and an exchange game is held. The females at the party ranged from early-20s to mid-70s and I brought an Alex & Ani bracelet as a gift that would hopefully encompass this range.
Continue reading “The Gift Exchange”
Believe it or not, I don’t really enjoy shopping all that much. Stores often feel crowded and doing a lot of trying on (especially without success) drains me. One little tip that can make shopping in stores and online a little easier is to “know your numbers”! Online, look in the product details for measurement information. Admittedly some stores are better about providing this than others. If the info isn’t there, a quick call to customer service can often solicit the details. In stores, carry a small tape measure with you. Testing the numbers on a piece before you try on greatly heightens the chances of success.
Key measurements that I like to keep stored on my phone include:
- Rise. Super important for jeans/trousers! Find a pair that you love the fit of and measure both front and back rise. The rise fit is probably the #1 indicator as to whether a new brand of jeans will be a hit or a miss in my closet.
- Inseam. As a fairly short girl, most things I buy will need to be hemmed but getting as close as possible to the correct fit often makes the job easier. You may want to track several versions for this measurement: one for shorts, one for crop/ankle pants, one for jeans, one for work trousers or pants you wear with heels.
- Skirt length. Again, you may need a couple of these, one for your short skirt sweet spot and one for maxis.
- Chest. Important for tees and sweaters. Again, measure the outside front/back of well-fitting tee or sweater right under the armhole seam and use this to gauge size on a new item when shopping.
- Heel Height. How many times have you bought a new pair of heels or boots, worn them a few times only to realize they were just out of your zone for comfortable walkability? Over the years, I’ve finally learned that my max is 3-3.25″. This translates to about 80 millimeters (the measurement most heel heights are given in) and I now know not to go over that height if I want to be happy with a new pair.
These are the areas that effect my fit and comfort most greatly. Yours may be different. Often athletic girls have trouble with fit in the thighs whereas petites can have trouble with overall shirt length – maybe those are numbers you need to record. In the end, I just hope that “knowing (and using) your numbers” will help you find a better fit more quickly as it has for me!