Jewelry can be an essential accessory for finishing off an outfit and making a look polished. Fortunately, you don’t need as many different items as you may think. In fact, you likely have many of these jewelry capsule essentials in your collection right now!
Whether you are trying to trim down your closet or are planning a jewelry capsule for travel, this collection of essentials will take you wherever you need to be.
This post may contain affiliate links. These links provide a means for sites like NattyGal.com to earn a small commission when a reader clicks through and makes a purchase at no additional cost to the reader. See full affiliate disclosure in Privacy & Disclosures.
I often joke to my husband that he’s very lucky I’m not much of a jewelry girl. It certainly saves a lot of money! Although I think my shoe and handbag habit might make up for it. Either way, having a smaller, more thought-out collection of stuff frees me up to focus more on enjoying life, while still looking good.
Below are the items I consider essential to a versatile and flexible jewelry capsule. Certainly, add more trend pieces if that is what you enjoy, but if not, rest easy knowing all your bases are covered with these pieces.
While I normally recommend buying the best quality that you can afford with many wardrobe basics, jewelry is a bit different. Put your money into the pieces you’ll likely wear day in and day out. Feel free to bargain hunt for the rest.
The inspiration pieces shown below are in a wide range of price points. Fun fact – one of my favorites on the list is only $6! Can you find it? Last note, I kept all items shown below in silver for consistency but most are available in yellow gold as well, if that is your preference.
Jewelry Capsule Essentials
- Studs: These are your daily workhorses! For metal studs, choose whichever metal looks best on you and stick to classic shapes (knots, fleur de lis, circles, etc.).
- Diamond or CZ
- Hoops: Great for both daily wear and slightly dressier evenings out. Again, choose your preferred metal and keep scale in mind. The smaller your face, the smaller the hoop.
- Statement: Statement earrings can give a basic jeans – black tee – heels outfit an extra punch on a night out and will also be your go-to’s for special occasion dressing. Sticking to clear/neutral stones/crystals will give you the most versatility but go with something multi-colored if that’s more your style!
- Drop or Chandelier
- Everyday: These tend to be smaller, shorter necklaces (14-18″). Aim for a trio in different lengths that you can wear alone or layered together using this awesome tool! Extenders are also a great way to get more mileage from limited pieces.
- Chain Link: Works best in professional settings. Gold is much easier to find but silver options are out there as well. Keep this necklace on the shorter side (12-16″)
- Pearls: For demure events, feminine outfits. Shorter, 14-18″ inch lengths are most versatile but go longer if you prefer.
- Long Pendant: Great for breaking up solid tops with round, crew, or turtle necklines.
- Statement: Again, these shorter but larger necklaces are great for taking jeans and a tee to the next level or when pairing with your trusty LBD for a special event or holiday.
- Diamond or CZ Solitaire/Band: For married women, this is likely your wedding set. If you’re not married, don’t hesitate to go get a solitaire or band for yourself!
- Stacked Sets: This is your most wearable/everyday set. Again, choose your favorite metal or mix them up.
- Signet: Like several of the items in this capsule, signets come in and out of fashion. It’s great to keep one on hand for more subdued occasions.
- Statement/Cocktail: For nights out and special occasions, a cocktail ring (like a statement earring or necklace) can amp up your basics. Again, I find neutral to be the most versatile but if you love color – go for it here!
NOTE: When it comes to statement/cocktail pieces, try not to wear them all at once! Earrings and a ring or necklace and a ring work better than a trio of “wow”.
- Watch: A metal watch will offer more flexibility than a leather one. Choose your favorite metal or select one that is multi-toned. Don’t go overboard on the bling! A subtle selection will work better for carrying you from day wear to special event evenings.
- Mixed Metal Bangles: Aim to collect 3-5 cuffs or bangles that you can wear individually or layered together. Single metal or mixed metals both work.
- Tennis Bracelet: Whether in diamond or CZ, a classic tennis bracelet will mix well with both the metal watch and bangles. It’s also perfect for dressier cocktail events!
Did you find my $6 piece? It’s this clear crystal statement necklace! How does your jewelry box hold up? Do you have the basics covered? Are there too many pieces you never wear? Did I miss an essential? Let me know in the comments below. Until next time….