Sometimes I feel like I am the only person on earth who doesn’t practice yoga regularly! I’ve gone a few times with friends but it never really stuck.
However, with each passing year, I feel my joints getting tighter and have been noticing a pronounced stiffness when I get up after resting. That means it’s time for me to undertake a stretching challenge as a way to incorporate regular stretching into my daily workout routine! Who’s with me?
This post may contain affiliate links. These links provide a means for sites like NattyGal.com to earn a small commission when a reader clicks through and makes a purchase at no additional cost to the reader. See full affiliate disclosure in Privacy & Disclosures.
Below is the stretching challenge that I’ve decided to try. It’s originally from the Blogilates website and I chose this challenge because of the clear and helpful graphics on stretching positions and the reasonable time commitment.
Per the instructions on Blogilates, you are to:
- Commit to practicing the poses every day for 30 days.
- Hold each pose for 30 seconds to 1 minute (per side if both sides are involved).
- Use the following schedule:
- Days 1-5: Do ALL of the first 5 stretches
- Day 6: Do ALL of the first 5 stretches PLUS the day 6 stretch and so on so that on Day 30 you will be doing the first 5 stretches PLUS the Day 30 stretch.
I started yesterday (September 1st) and I’d love for you to join me in this challenge! A few tips:
- Try to increase your stretch for the last 5 seconds that you hold a position.
- Wrap the resistance band around the ball of your foot once so it doesn’t roll off while you’re applying tension (especially important with the tube-style resistance bands).
While, at 55, I’m doubtful I’ll get to full splits in 30 days, I am confident that I will see a host of other benefits. See below!
Key Reasons Why You Should Add Stretching to Your Fitness Routine
Along with maintaining strength and cardiovascular fitness, working on your flexibility will help you live a more active life, longer. Stretching
- Moves your joints through their full range of motion, thereby decreasing injuries.
- Increases blood flow and promotes circulation, allowing your body to work at maximum effectiveness.
- Helps reduce and manage stress.
- Can improve your posture, and joint and back pain.
- Increases your ability to do all of your daily activities!
So who’s in? Let me know in the comments below and we’ll compare notes in a month or so.
We will be traveling the next couple of weeks with the hope of bringing you so fantastic new content this fall. Follow along as I post updates to my Instagram stories along the way. Have a safe and wonderful Labor Day weekend! There are still a few weeks of summertime left. 🌻
Until next time…keep cultivating a simple, stylish, and satisfying life!