With everyone tucked away in sweats for the past year, I guess it should come as no surprise that as well all re-enter the world, baggy jeans are one of the latest trends! I mean, who can fit into their skinnies anymore, am I right?
Lots of younger celebs have been sporting this look and that may leave you wondering how to pull it off at 40+. Well, today you are in luck because I’m sharing 5 tips for wearing the wide/baggy jean trend that will have you acting as a style-setter among your friends!
This post may contain affiliate links. These links provide a means for sites like NattyGal.com to earn small commission when a reader clicks through and makes a purchase at no additional cost to the reader. See full affiliate disclosure in Privacy & Disclosures.
5 Tips for Wearing the Wide/Baggy Jean Trend
- Find the style of baggy jean that works for you. For most women over 40, a style that is somewhat fitted in the waist and rear but more voluminous in the legs is going to work better than a style that is big and loose all over. I also recommend forgoing distressing and/or embellishments on this cut of jeans. There’s already a lot going on with the profile.
- Keep your top form-fitting. Let the denim be the only full/baggy part of your look. Keep tops simple and fitted. Think classic tees/tanks, simple surplice, or wrap cuts. With tees and tanks, you’re going to want to either tuck or knot so that the bottom of the tee is near the waistline. With wrap styles, look for ones that are slightly cropped so that the hem will hit in the correct spot. A looser/longer hanging top with fuller jeans will just end up looking sloppy.
- Add a belt. Especially important if you are tucking your top. A belt will give some definition to your waist, which will look tiny in those wide-leg pants! Opt for a classic to wide waist cincher. A skinny belt won’t have enough heft against the wide-leg bottom.
- Add a heel. If you’re new to this profile, pairing a wider-leg pant with a heel makes for a bullet-proof combo. Heeled sandals, mules, boots, and wedges all work to give you every girl’s dream of legs for days!
- Add a jacket. Much like adding a heel, adding a jacket does loads to elevate your outfit from a fashion fad for kids to a tailored trend for the over-40 set. Pick whatever shape or style you like: the blazer, bomber, and moto are some of my personal faves. As with the top, keep things fairly fitted and look for jackets that end no longer than high hip bone.
Check out more fashion posts at this link.
Until next time…keep cultivating a simple, stylish and satisfying life!