Are you familiar with shakshuka? It’s a wonderfully comforting and flavorful dish of poached eggs in a base of tomatoes, onions, peppers, and spices. It’s said to have originated in Tunisia but is a popular meal throughout much of North Africa and the Middle East.
This post may contain affiliate links. These links provide a means for sites like NattyGal.com to earn small commission when a reader clicks through and makes a purchase at no additional cost to the reader. See full affiliate disclosure in Privacy & Disclosures.
This recipe is based on one from NYT Cooking, “Shakshuka with Feta” although I’ve modified it very slightly. It makes 4-6 portions and is wonderful served with warmed pita!
Shakshuka with Feta
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano plum tomatoes with liquid, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- chopped cilantro, sumac, harissa, and za’atar for serving
Heat oven to 375. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 or 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne and cook 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. Taste and add more seasoning if needed. Stir in crumbled feta.
Gently crack eggs into the skillet over tomatoes. You may want to hollow a small hole for each egg with the back of a spoon first. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
To serve, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and season with sumac, za’tar, and harissa as desired.
Until next time…keep cultivating a simple, stylish and satisfying life!