We’re ALL looking for COVID safe travel options these days! Well, imagine the sound of rigging playing against the mast while waves lap the hull and serenade you to sleep. Nice, right? That dream can be yours on a private crewed sailing charter with Nauti Cat.
Avoid crowds while exploring the irresistible beauty of the USVI/BVI with just YOUR selected family or friends. All while enjoying gourmet cuisine and making the memories of a lifetime! In fact, a vacation just like this remains one of Natty Guy’s favorite childhood memories.
NOTE: All photos represented in this post are owned by and being used with the permission of: S/V Nauti Cat and Bob/Peggy Koontz.
You may recall my friends Bob & Peggy from this post, where we visited their lovely AirBNB rental in Belize. Well, this year they added a fantastic yacht to their collection of properties and are pursuing their life-long dream of providing all-inclusive charters in the US and British Virgin Islands!
Bob developed his love for sailing at Purdue where he was very active in the Purdue Sailing Club. For both, the Caribbean has always held a special place in their hearts! They got married in Jamaica and have toured many of the islands extensively.
Bob has a Master Captain’s license issued through the United States Coast Guard while Peg is an ASA (American Sailing Association) certified First Mate. They have additional STCW certifications with Bob also holding cards in Advanced Firefighting, Lifeboat/Survival, and Advanced First Aid. They’re eager to share the wonders of marine life and their favorite island haunts with all those that they welcome on board!
About Nauti Cat
The S/V Nauti Cat is a brand new (February 2020) Lagoon 50 Catamaran that will accommodate up to 8 passengers (4 staterooms) and 2 crew members. The Lagoon 50 is the winner of several “best in class” boating awards.
You’ll enjoy restful comfort in three Queen cabins, each with a private ensuite head/shower and a mid-ship double-berth (perfect for kids) that shares with the forward stateroom head. Four Queen cabins can be arranged for with notice.
Nauti Cat follows green initiatives by using only biodegradable, natural cleaners, and soaps onboard. Reef safe sunscreen is provided to guests, all food waste is composted and cans/bottles are recycled.
WE CAN’T IMAGINE BEING ON ANOTHER BOAT
Thank you for sharing your special spots with us, and keeping us active and experiencing what the USVI & BVI have to offer. Our week was incredible – hiking, scooters, snorkeling, beach bars, collecting treasures, sailing, fishing, and the most amazing dives ever! We appreciate the wonderful meals and your extra special touches. We are impressed with your expertise on the waters and professionalism. Thank you for putting up with our crazy crew. Please know if you ever make it to Montana or Idaho you are always welcome!Sam & Ginger
On Board Dining
Both Bob and Peg have a passion for cooking and have successfully completed several courses including a 16-week professional Italian culinary course from Loretta Paganini’s School of Cooking in Ohio. Peg is scheduled to further enhance her culinary skills at the Yacht Chef Course of the Ashburn Cookery School in the United Kingdom later this summer.
Consummate entertainers, the couple established a reputation on land for hosting incredible themed events like a Mardi Gras dinner for 50 featuring their amazing gumbo and homemade pralines, a Caribbean night highlighting Bob’s specialty jerk chicken or an intimate Italian meal of Braciole and pasta for friends.
Below is a sample menu of what you might find at each meal and they are happy to accommodate most culinary restrictions!
NOTE: You can meet your charter in St. Thomas, USVI or Tortola, BVI. The crew is happy to work with you to customize an itinerary and finalize plans for the week. Please note some places can be inaccessible due to closure, time constraints, or weather conditions.
Sample 7-Day Itinerary
Settle in and grab a tropical cocktail! Your private sail throughout the Virgin Islands is about to begin.
- Day 1: Set sail for St. John, visiting Trunk Bay to swim and then Francis Bay for dinner, drinks, and your first evening under the stars.
- Day 2: After a relaxing morning, head to the famous Baths, a unique rock formation along the southern tip of Virgin Gorda. This afternoon, head for North Sound, home to watersport activities like windsurfing and kayaking!
- Day 3: After breakfast, sail toward Anegada, an atoll completely surrounded by reef. Snorkle, scuba dive, or enjoy the white sand beach. For dinner, indulge in some of the best grilled lobster in the Caribbean.
- Day 4: Today we head to Cane Garden Bay, Tortola via Monkey Bay, Guana Island. Try your hand at sailing or simply soak up the sun, good book in hand. Tonight enjoy the sunset as it goes down over the islands.
- Day 5: Today’s port is Jost Van Dyke, the beach bar capital of the Caribbean! Be sure to check out the world-famous Soggy Dollar Bar.
- Day 6: Raise sail and head around Tortola’s West End where we’ll stop at Soper’s Hole for souvenir and gift shops in a picturesque setting. Then sail upwind to Norman Island, stopping for lunch at The Caves. Norman Island is famous for its pirates. Perhaps you’ll stumble across some forgotten treasure!
- Day 7: Today we visit The Indians, a short sail from Norman Island. These large rock pillars rise from the sea and abound with fish, sponges, and corals.
- Day 8: After breakfast and a swim, the crew will return you to your departure port for your onward journey. Take stock of the great week you’ve had, snap a few last photos, and make plans for your return!
Whether you’re looking for a go-go-go schedule of water fun or a slow-slow-slow week of nothing but sun and sail, the crew on Nauti Cat are fiercely committed to making your dreams come true! Some of their more popular activities include:
- Watersports: Nauti Cat offers a variety of on-board water toys for your enjoyment including snorkeling equipment, floats, paddleboards, kayaks, and water swings. Many locations visited offer additional options for water-based fun like water-skiing, spear-fishing, and scuba diving.
- Land-Based Adventures: Hike up to Gorda Peak, the highest point on Virgin Gorda, or explore the sandy rock caverns of The Baths! White sand beaches abound, most notably those on Anegada as well as the palm-lined cove at Cane Garden Bay, Tortola.
- Shopping: St. Thomas is, of course, one of the most well-known shopping spots in the Caribbean. For those seeking a more intimate experience, check out picturesque Soper’s Hole on Tortola!
- Boat Drinks: Your itinerary will find you in proximity to some of the most legendary bars in the Caribbean: The Soggy Dollar, Foxy’s, and The Willy T (a floating bar), to name a few!
NOTE: For those interested in scuba diving, Bob is an avid diver and is in the process of obtaining his divemaster certification. He’d be happy to guide you toward all the best spots!
COVID Safe Travel: Book Your Trip!
Ready to book? Head over to Sailing Nauti Cat to check on availability. As a special incentive for Natty Gal readers, Nauti Cat is offering a 5% discount on 7-day trips, as well as commemorative Nauti Cat t-shirts for your group when they arrive! Mention promo code NATTYGAL when making your reservation (offer valid on new 7-day bookings made by 12/31/20). And be sure to follow Nauti Cat on Facebook for all the latest in Caribbean life!
Are you more of a landlubber? Check out Bob & Peg’s rental offerings in Florida at Tropical Holiday Vacations.
Thanks so much for your likes, shares, and follows! Until next time,