One of my favorite childhood memories was shopping downtown (in Cleveland) with my grandmother and capping off our day with a lunch at Higbee’s Silver Grille. I’d get my meal in a little cardboard oven and she would get something fancy like whitefish or Welsh rarebit.
I was delighted to come across the recipe for one of their signature items (Strawberry Bread) on Reddit a few months ago and recently tested it out. It was a hit! So if you’re tiring of making banana bread with the kids, give this new recipe a try and savor the memories!
Fun Fact: Higbee’s is the Cleveland department store shown in the classic holiday movie A Christmas Story!
Higbee’s Strawberry Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups frozen sliced strawberries, thawed and lightly blended
Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar together. Mix oil, egg, and berries. Add to dry mixture. Pour into two greased and floured 9 by 5 by 3 loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm or cold. Freezes well.
- Very lightly blend berries with an immersion blender, being sure to leave a few chunkier pieces for texture.
- If you prefer to use fresh berries, use 2 cups sprinkled lightly with sugar. Set aside while prepping dry ingredients.
- Recipe halves easily if you only want one loaf.
- Top with freshly whipped cream.
- Serve with a spread of whipped cream cheese and a small amount of powdered sugar or whipped butter with crushed berries.
- Make a basic cake glaze to drizzle over the top.
- Decorate with fresh berries and enjoy!
Explore more recipes HERE.
Thanks so much for your likes, shares and follows! Until next time,