One of my easy, go-to weeknight meals is chicken. It’s lean, versatile and picks up a variety of flavors based upon how you cook it and what you accompany it with! While it’s still been quite warm here in Northeast Ohio, I’ve had a bit of a taste for some slightly heavier fall food so this week I prepared a chicken dish that has some heavy cream in the sauce. It was a hit – pure lemon-y, garlic-y deliciousness! Hope you enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. These links provide a means for sites like NattyGal.com to earn a small commission when a reader clicks through and makes a purchase at no additional cost to the reader. See full affiliate disclosure in Privacy & Disclosures.
Chicken with Lemon and Garlic Sauce Ingredients
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- Flour for coating
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1¼ cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup cream (use light cream if looking to save a few calories)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of broth
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons drained capers (leave these out if you don’t like capers)
- Lemon slices and/or parsley for garnish
Chicken with Lemon and Garlic Sauce Instructions
Squeeze lemon juice over each chicken breast then season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add flour to a shallow bowl and dredge each breast; shake off excess and set aside.
Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until butter has melted and pan is hot. Fry the chicken until golden on each side, cooked through and no longer pink (about 4-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken). Transfer to a plate.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry until onion is translucent.
Reduce heat to low-medium and add the broth. Season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook to reduce down (about 6 minutes). Pour in the cream and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
Add lemon juice, Italian herbs and capers and simmer for one minute. Place the chicken back into the pan and simmer until warmed through. Remove chicken breast to plate and add cornstarch/broth combination to thicken the sauce. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices and/or parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Because these chicken breasts varied a great deal in size, I sliced them before adding back to the pan to simmer to allow for more equitable serving portions.
- Serve over rice or noodles if you prefer a bit heartier dish. As the dish already has cream and we prefer to eat a little leaner during the week, I served this meal with a mixture of oven-roasted vegetables (eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, red onion and tomato). To prepare, simply chop veggies into 1/2 inch to 1 inch cubes, coat with olive oil and any seasonings and roast in a single layer at 450 for about 20-30 minutes or until lightly caramelized.
For another fall favorite meal, check out this post with a recipe for steamed clams and Provencal herb and cheese bread! Until next time, happy eating!