Father’s Day. Graduation parties. Cookouts with friends. Family picnics at the beach. You know the drill…bring a dish to share! Well, the roasted veggie salad I’m making today is one we turn to time and time again. Filled with rich flavors, I dare you to contain yourself to just one helping!
A few other things that make this the perfect summer salad:
- It’s mayo free so will hold up outside in warm temps.
- Tastes just as good at room temp as it does chilled, if not better!
- Pairs well with traditional cookout entrees: beef, chicken, pork and fish.
- Makes a fantastic “Meatless Monday” or vegetarian meal on it’s own!
Don’t let the somewhat long ingredient list daunt you. All prep is straightforward and doesn’t require any special cooking skills. Unfortunately, I do not recall where I found the original recipe – somewhere online, I’m sure.
This makes a lot! Six to eight entree-sized servings, more if you use it as a side dish. Start to finish prep time is about an hour. It’s also easy to multiply if you have a really, really big group.
Mediterranean Roasted Veggie Salad with Pearl Couscous
- 1/2 pound medium asparagus spears cut into one inch pieces
- 1/2 pound zucchini cut into one in pieces
- 1/2 pound yellow squash cut into one inch pieces
- 1/2 pound peeled eggplant cut into one inch pieces
- 1 large sweet, red bell pepper cut into one inch pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Greek or Mediterranean dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 pound pearl couscous
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Vinaigrette, see below
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, place asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, red pepper, onion, oil, salt, oregano and garlic powder. Mix to combine and pour on to sheet pans in a single layer.
Roast vegetables 10 minutes, flip and roast for 10 more. They should be slightly browned but still have some bite to them. Place roasted vegetables back into large bowl and add olives, capers and basil.
Next, in a large, dry fry-pan over medium high heat, toast couscous until slightly brown. Toss or stir often during browning so they don’t burn. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil with the two teaspoons of salt and add the toasted couscous. Cook 8-10 minutes until al dente.
While couscous are cooking, make the vinaigrette. Place all vinaigrette ingredients except the oil into a medium bowl and whisk. Slowly drizzle in oil while you whisk. Set aside. NOTE: I cheat here and use an immersion blender to mix things up.
Once couscous are cooked, drain thoroughly in a strainer and add to vegetable mixture, tossing lightly. Add vinaigrette and toss again. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature so couscous can absorb the vinaigrette and flavors.
Add feta, if desired and serve.
Feeling salad inspired now? Check out one of our other summer favorites – a super simple shrimp salad!
Thanks so much for stopping by! I always appreciate your support, sharing likes and follows. Until next time,