Bitgym lets you do just that! This handy app available on iOS and Android uses it’s front facing camera to mimic your speed and take you on virtual sightseeing trip to locations all over the world. Bitgym currently has over 100 tours available! Instead of streaming the same old tunes or watching mindless TV, you can be hiking our national parks, strolling the streets of Paris or adventuring in the jungles of Costa Rica.
- The amazing graphics! Much more realistic than other formats researched.
- The pacing done by the front facing camera. It is remarkably in sync with minor changes, adjusting your walk, run or bike through the scenery seamlessly. In other formats there can be a tendency for the filmmaker to stop and circulate around a monument or point of interest. Sometimes for quite a while. With BitGym, as long as you keep moving the scenery keeps moving!
- Works with treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, rowing machines
- Over 100 tours with options for North America, Europe, South America and the Pacific Rim
- Three types of tours are available: Hikes (nature), Adventure (mix of nature and urban landscapes) and Road Tours (roads, primarily for biking)
- Can option to hear nature sounds specific to the area or to learn trail facts
- Can use by streaming or download (download works when no WiFi is available)
- An initial free trial is available, after that and to receive full functionality, the fee is $7.99/month
Love the idea but balk at signing up for another subscription service? Search YouTube for “Virtual Treadmill Walk” to see free videos!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. For full disclosure policy, click here.