Continuing on last week’s capsule wardrobe theme, today we’ll focus on foundation tops. Again, you don’t need ALL of these pieces for a capsule, but it’s easier to get started if you have at least a few of them.
With foundation items, I recommend buying the best you can afford. An exception to this would be white camis and tees as most people I know replace them often. As with our basic bottoms, keep details clean and somewhat minimal. At this stage we are working on versatility. Remember to stay true to your primary color palette. If your go-to dark is black, don’t buy navy tees/sweaters and vice versa. Charcoals and greys fit in nicely with both navy and black color palettes for mid-tone neural pieces.
Spring/Summer Casual Capsule Foundation Tops
- Layering cami or tank in both a light and dark neutral
- NattyGal FAVE: Loft Clean Cami has adjustable straps and 5% spandex to help retain shape
- Short sleeve tee in both a light and dark neutral
- I’ve been loving this year’s linen v-neck at Banana Republic! The linen slub adds an subtle texture.
- White button down
- Chambray/Denim shirt
- Neutral pullover or cardigan sweater
- Casual Blazer
Spring/Summer Office Capsule Foundation Tops
- Dark neutral jacket – the typical suit jacket – see this post on suiting for options
- Light neutral silk blouse
- Silk shell – in a light or dark neutral solid or stripe
- Neutral open cardigan – look for thinner fabrics with a bit of sheen to them for a nice office look